When it comes time to make a home more senior-friendly, there are many areas to look at. Entryways into the home are places that need attention. These are prime places for accidental falls. Here are some things that can make these areas safer.
- Add non-slip flooring at the entryway inside the home: This makes coming inside from wet weather less treacherous.
- Add non-slip strips to surfaces outside the entryway: This can help improve footing.
- Add non-slip rugs to the entryway.
- Repair uneven or cracked areas of walkways leading to the house: Cracks and uneven surfaces increase the risk of falling.
- Make entryways well lit.
- Make entryways as open and unobstructed as possible.
- Increase stair visibility by using contrast strips on the top and bottom stairs.
- Install rails on both sides of stairways leading into the house: This helps provide more support for people getting in and out of the house.
- If possible, replace stairs with entry ramps.
Entryways are important areas of the house. Don’t ignore these areas when renovating a house to make it more accessible to older adults.