The American Stroke Association reports that stroke is the 4th leading cause of death and a top cause of disability in the United States. Ischemic strokes are the most common type and occur when a blood clot stops up a blood vessel or artery to the brain. These account for 87 percent of all strokes. The other 13 percent of strokes are called hemorrhagic. These arise when a blood vessel breaks and results in bleeding inside or over the brain.


Here are some common signs and symptoms of stroke:


  • Numbness or weakness of the face, arms, or legs, especially on one side of the body
  • Confusion or trouble speaking and understanding
  • Trouble walking, dizziness, loss of coordination or balance
  • Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
  • Trouble seeing in one or both eyes


The following are less frequent symptoms but are often seen in women:


  • Chest pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Fainting or loss of consciousness


Call 911 immediately if you or someone you love demonstrates any of these signs and symptoms. Time is of the essence, and you could save someone’s life…or your own.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Uncategorized